In light of COVID-19, AIA Cincinnati chapter events will be held virtually through June 2021, unless stated otherwise.
Academy Summit: Hardware and Software Technologies in Design, Documentation, and Construction
November 17 @ 8:00 am – 9:30 am
$25 AIA members (number required at registration)
*Zoom* Academy Summit: Hardware and Software Technologies in Design, Documentation, and Construction
We live in a rapidly changing world aided by Software and Hardware technologies that themselves are rapidly changing and evolving. Architecture and the construction industry as a whole has been slower to embrace these new technologies and changes. In this presentation, we will examine several new and emerging technologies, from Virtual Reality to 3D Printing, to Robotics and Data driven design to examine how Architects and designers are using technology to create a better built environment.
This course will examine how emerging technologies are used by Architects to create more holistic and safe buildings. Our traditional methods of producing 2D documents to represent a 3D design inherently allows an opportunity for misinterpretation of the design intent when translating the design to the built environment. The ability for architects to move beyond the traditional 2D representation of an idea and create a 3D, data driven, virtual model allows the Architect to foresee problems and potential opportunities. It also promotes a better construction process.
Series registration required before 4pm on November 13. Event registration required before 4pm on November 16.
- Understand current and emerging technologies that are being used in Architecture, how firms select which technologies to invest in, and how application of those technologies can improve the safety of design and comfort of the end user.
- Demonstrate how these emerging technologies aid and enhance the process, accessibility, and presentation of early conceptual and schematic design.
- Describe how these technologies translate into more comprehensively coordinated documentation to better communicate with contractors and improve the safety of the structure and functionality of MEP systems.
- Identify how emerging technologies improve the safety of the contractors, the quality of the construction and create a result that is more consistent with the design professional’s intent.
- Explore technologies on the horizon that could reshape the AEC industry in the next 5-10 years and how Architects can position themselves to embrace these changes in order to use them to further the profession of Architecture while improving the health, safety, and welfare of occupants and users of their designs.