- This event has passed.
Academy: CSI 301 – Advanced Specification Writing
September 7, 2017 @ 7:30 am - 11:30 pm
Who Should Attend
Anyone who writes, interprets, enforces, or manages construction documents.
Total of 12 AIA HSW LU across 4 sessions!
Bryant D. Ard, AIA, CSI, CCS, LEED AP
David S. Proudfit, FCSI, CCS, AIA
Phil Babinec, CSI, CCS, CCCA
4 classes: September 7, 14, 21, 28
Breakfast & Registration: 7:30 am
Finished by 11:30 am each day
(includes Continental Breakfast)
$195 AIA Member
The CSI Cincinnati Chapter’s “Preparing Effective Construction Documents” program is presented in conjunction with The Academy at AIA Cincinnati.
This program has been designed to provide a comprehensive overview for anyone who writes, interprets, enforces, or manages construction documents.
Architects at all levels of experience will learn how to consistently prepare the most effective specifications possible for any project type, understand the roles and relationships of all project participants, and improve communication among all members of the design and construction team.
Students who successfully complete this course will return to their firm fully equipped to lead the effort to minimize change orders, reduce errors and omissions, and mitigate risk through effective coordination of the contract documents.
The program is divided into three 12-hour courses. Each course consists of four 3-hour classes. Courses are offered once per year, as follows:
- Introduction to Construction Documents (Winter)
- Intermediate Construction Documents (Spring)
- Advanced Construction Documents (Fall)
Preparing Effective Construction Documents – Using & Enforcing Specifications
September 7, 2017
This Session builds upon the knowledge gained during the previous 2 classes to show participants how to apply fundamental techniques and principles to utilize the contract documents to ensure compliance with the design intent. Participants will:
- Discuss with a panel of industry professionals various techniques which can be employed to ensure the level of quality established by the CDs can be enforced.
- Engage in an in-depth examination of AIA’s A201General Conditions of the Contract for Construction.
- Explore various methods for efficiently and cost-effectively modifying the CDs, via the addenda and change order processes, including issues project procurement methods.
- Review techniques for enforcing the CDs during the construction phase of the project, including a discussion of liability and risk management issues.
Preparing Effective Construction Documents – Owner’s Reps & Construction Managers
September 14, 2017
This Session shows participants how to leverage the knowledge and experience of other industry professionals in order to ensure that the products and installation methods specified are appropriate to fulfilling the project’s design objectives. Participants will:
- Benefit from the knowledge of a construction management professional who will discuss with the class the importance of well-prepared CDs for accomplishing the Owner’s project goals.
- Learn to develop standard processes for ensuring that the information regarding the various products specified is up-to-date and accurate.
- Explore various methods for efficiently and cost-effectively managing the submittal process.
- Review techniques for enforcing the project’s design intent through the substitution evaluation and submittal review processes.
Preparing Effective Construction Documents – Design-Build Specifications
September 21, 2017
This Session helps participants understand the role and responsibility of the design professional who is part of a design-build team. Participants will:
- Benefit from the knowledge of a number of design-build professionals who will discuss with the class the unique advantages and challenges of various design-build delivery methods for accomplishing the Owner’s project goals.
- Learn to distinguish the type and scope of information required in design-build CDs from those of more traditional design-bid-build and construction manager delivery methods.
- Review techniques for ensuring the project’s design intent is met through the creation of “enforceable” design-build CDs.
- Discuss the importance of both the Project Closeout and Warranty processes in the overall success of the project, starting with a general understanding of field quality control from pre-construction meetings through punch list.
Preparing Effective Construction Documents – “Are You Smarter Than a Specifier?”
September 28, 2017
This final Session of the course will give participants the “hands on” opportunity to test the knowledge they’ve obtained throughout the previous courses against seasoned industry professionals. Participants will:
- Be challenged with a number of scenarios designed to test their understanding of information required to be included in Parts 1, 2 and 3 of a typical specification.
- Discuss the pros and cons of several hypothetical product substitution requests and field observation reports.
- Determine the most appropriate approach between 2 or more scenarios culled from several “real world” projects.
Leave the course fully equipped to prepare a set of well-researched, well-designed, and well-coordinated Contract Documents.